2 Jul 2015

Mid-year Book Freakout: 2015 Edition


Welcome to the second 'Mid-year Book Freakout' here at A Book So Fathomless! It's a pretty simple little bookish survey for you all. Just answer the fifteen questions, add the link to your post and read back over your answers at the end of the year to see whether they've changed or not. Now, let's start!

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2015.
C - You want me to just choose one? Are you crazy? You must be. Honestly so many books became my favourite and just to list a few: Stolen by Lucy Christopher, Every Breath Series by Ellie Marney, The Grisha Series by Leigh Bardugo, Throne of Glass series and A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas.
E - ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? Burial Rites, The Winner's Curse, Frankenstein, MAYBE SOMEDAY, Rat Queens, Every Move, In the Afterlight, All the Truth That's In Me, The Lost Hero/The Son of Neptune, SUITE FRANCAISE, Heir of Fire, Between the Lives, A Court of Thorns and Roses, The Bone Season, The Madness Underneath, The Winner's Crime, THE TENANT OF WILDFELL HALL, Boundless, End of Days and Nimona. I've had a lot of favourites...

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2015.
C - Every word by Ellie Marney! It was just everything I wanted and more and hold on while i go cry now.
E - Either End of Days by Susan Ee or Boundless by Cynthia Hand. Funny enough, they're both third books in angel series but they are so different and oh my god, I just loved both of them. Also, Every Move by Ellie Marney was kind of the best thing that's ever happened to me.

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.
C - An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. THIS IS EVERYWHERE. I NEED TO READ.
E - Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke by Anne Blankman. I've been looking forward to this one for ages and I will have it. I will devour it.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
C - Look at Ely's answer (excluding Rick Riordan since I haven't read any of his books)
E - Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas, Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan and The Last King by Millicent Nankivell. BE MINE ALREADY.

5. Biggest disappointment.
C - Unearthly by Cynthia Hand. I AM SORRY. OKAY?
E - Maybe You're the Kind of Girl I Write Songs About by Daniel Herborn or Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

6. Biggest surprise.
C - Stolen by Lucy Christopher just stole my flipping soul.
E - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I did not expect to like this at all. I had to study it for Uni so I didn't have high hopes but then it just entirely blew my mind.

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)
C - I read Sarah J Maas for the first time this year, so there you go!
E - Irène Némirovsky (reasons why below), Samantha Shannon, Anne Bronte, Noelle Stevenson, Angela Carter, Brandon Sanderson...there are many new favourites.

8. Newest fictional crush.
C - JAMES MYCROFT. THE DARKLING. NIKOLA.  TAMLIN. NEED I SAY MORE?
E - Ridge from Maybe Someday is definitely up there. He's was beautiful, and I just really like how unique he is as a character. I can't say what makes him unique because it'll spoil the twist, but I love him.

9. Newest favourite character.
C - Rowan in Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas. OMG, his sass though.
E - Piper from the Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan. I still love Percy and Annabeth, but PIPER. Damn girl, you is badass. I will happily adopt you as my new best friend.

10. Book that made you cry.
C - None so far. I am heartless :P.
E - Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky—not just because of the book, but because of the author too. Irène Némirovsky actually died in Auschwitz before she could finish the novel and that ruins me.

11. Book that made you happy.
C - Oh I reread the Shatter Me series again this year. THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY.
E - The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene. This was my first reread of any of the Nancy Drew books (it's also the first in the series) and I was just so incredibly happy to be back in this world. I just adore Nancy.

12. Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year. 
C - I have seen none. I know. Take a step back-OH WAIT, I SAW INSURGENT. That was not the best though.
E - I finally saw the film of Stardust this year. Actually, before I read the book. I ended up loving the movie way more.

13. Favourite review you've written this year.
C - A Court of Thorns and Roses by the sass-master = Sarah J Maas.
E - I think The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, because that review made me come up with a lot of other discussion posts. Also, I just really love that book.

14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
C - The Daughter Of Smoke and Bone trilogy box set. IT IS BEAUTIFUL.
E - The other day I bought two very beautiful books. Firstly, All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which is just gorgeous to me. Secondly, a really beautiful hardback edition of Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales—if I could, I would marry that book.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
C - The same answer as above, but I just really really really need to read the Daughter Of Smoke and Bone series.
E - I want to finish the rest of the Heroes of Olympus series, my YALC books...just heaps. So many. *drowns in TBR pile*

Remember to add your link below if you join in!