14 Jun 2015

TBR Shame

The other day, one of my bestest friends in the entire universe Rachel posted this amazing post on book shame and why it shouldn’t exist. I wanted to talk about another type of book shame, in particular, TBR shame. I’ve wanted to write a post about this for ages but I could never quite find the right words for it until now.

I don’t think TBR shame/guilt should exist.

It’s actually funny that I’m writing this now because up until about two months ago, I was one of those people who suffered from serious TBR guilt. I had 500 unread books on my shelves at the start of this year. I know what you’re thinking—that’s a ridiculous amount of books, you’ll never read all of those, you should never buy another book, whatever!

The thing is, I don’t fell guilty about owning that many unread books anymore. Yes, I still want to get through the books I own and I’ve been cutting back on my buying habits but I don’t worry anymore. I used to actually feel disappointed with myself for owning that many unread books, but something clicked one day.

I like having unread books on my shelf. The thought of having zero TBR books is actually terrifying to me. I can’t live book to book. I need to read two or three books at the same time, and have something waiting for me that I’m excited to read. I like being able to pick whatever book off my shelf because that’s what I wanted to read right then rather than just the only thing I had on my shelf.

I understand that some people might like living book to book. They might like going out and purchasing a new every time they finish one, but that just isn’t for me.

I think the idea that you have to be guilty or feel ashamed that you have unread books on your shelf is ridiculous. If you want to have twenty or two hundred unread books on your shelf, I think it’s up to you. You’re the one who decides which books you are going to read and when you are going to read them. I don’t think you should ever be ashamed of that.


Anyway, that’s just my two cents, let me know what you think and remember to check out Rachel’s blog, it’s honestly one of my favourites.