8 Jul 2013

REVIEW: Awaken by Meg Cabot


Title: Awaken (Abandon, #3)
Author: Meg Cabot
Format: Ebook
Pages: 194
Rating: 4/5
Blurb:
Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Furies have discovered that John has broken one of their strictest rules: He revived a human soul.

If the balance between life and death isn’t fixed, both the Underworld and Pierce’s home back on earth will be wiped away. But there’s only one way to restore order. Someone has to die.(less)

Review:



I have to state clear that the rating of this book cannot be compared to any other book, only in it’s series itself. If I did, then it would be much lower and I can’t bring my self to pinpoint it’s rating without taking in the whole series factor.


I don’t know what drew me to this series. After reading the first book Abandoned, I knew it wasn’t too good. That it had low potential and had a weak story compared to the book that I read after this. That is possibly why I didn’t think to fondly of this series is because Everneath by Brodi Ashton had the same plot line:
  • ·      Girl trapped in the Underworld (Everneath)
  • ·      Girl escapes from the Underworld
  • ·      Boy follows her
  • ·      Boy aims to make them in a relationship for power

I am an Australian and Australians like their Underdogs, so I kept on reading, having hope.

And I must say that the characters in the Abandon through out to Awaken are characters that will always stay in my heart for their well minded choices. Okay, by that, I meant mostly main character Pierce. She wins the award for the best Young Adult Lit character for the fact she didn’t annoy me at all and made her decisions according to their outcomes. She forgave people and she really wanted that relationship with John no matter how hard it was. No matter that she would be trapped in the Underworld for the rest of eternity. She was just a girl that had an excellent personality and she made all the right choices in according to her dialogue throughout Awaken. I respect this character.

Oh John. You got to love him hey? It was so refreshing to see John and his over protectiveness of Pierce.

Meg Cabot made me feel as if I was in that world. The dialogue made me feel as if it was actually real. It was just so right! Not too cold and not too hot. The character strength satisfied the weak story for me and I really recommend this book if your looking for non annoying main characters (though they may be a tad annoying at the start) and if you just want to read a series that doesn’t have such an intense focus on plot.

I’m going to miss this series. Goodbye John and Pierce. You be good now, okay?

You can buy this book on Book Depository here