6 May 2013

REVIEW: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon



Title: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1)
Author: Leigh Fallon
Publication Date: October 4th 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Paperback
Pages: 342
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction
.
Review: I’ll be the first to admit that the cover of this book was what originally drew me towards it, I mean can you honestly look at the cover and say that you don’t think it’s pretty in any way? It came as a surprise later on that the cover did actually have a bit of relevance to the book- okay, not so much the gorgeous dress but I appreciate the dramatics that comes along with that. Moving on...

I found most of the characters quite interesting- I didn’t have any real problems with the main character, Megan, though there were some decisions she made that made me want to bash her into a table or something- but in reality that made her much more like realistic teenager. I liked Adam, the love interest, as well. I admit that I was worried in the first few pages that he would turn out to be too much of a YA cliché but by the end of the novel, I didn’t hate him. I  really liked Aine, Rian and Fionn- all for different reasons and at different moments.

Plot-wise, I was slightly worried that ‘Carrier of the Mark’ would turn out to be one of those typical YA books, and while admittedly it had its moments, there were aspects of it that were quite different. For one, the setting of Ireland was something completely new to me in the world of YA fiction, and I really liked reading about the things that this bought along. Sort of unrelated, but I also loved all the Irish names in the book though I probably pronounced them in my head incredibly badly! I also liked ‘powers’ of this book, again I was worried how this would go down but I found the history of said powers to be really interesting and not what I was expecting at all.

I’m looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel when it comes out this July. I can’t wait to see where Leigh Fallon takes Megan, Adam and everyone else now!

You can buy Carrier of the Mark on The Book Depository (Free shipping worldwide): here