21 Nov 2012

REVIEW: Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

Title: Hades (Halo #2)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publication Date: September 1st 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins Australia
Format: Paperback
Pages: 496
Rating: 4/5
Blurb: Jake Thorn and his demons have been banished and Xavier and Bethany settle down to resume a normal life. But on the night of Halloween, a childish prank goes terribly wrong and Jake is summoned back to the sleepy town of Venus Cove. Bethany is deceived and like the mythical Persephone she finds herself dragged into the nightmarish underworld of Hades. 

While the angels call on higher powers to help recover Bethany, Hell decides to play dirty and goes after the one thing she loves more than anything. But to spare Xavier’s life, Bethany must make the ultimate sacrifice.

Will she make a deal with the Devil? And what will happen to an angel in Hell?
Review: As a whole, I enjoyed this book more than the first one in the series (Halo). This was partly because I knew most of the characters already, I understood the world and I was used to the writing style. However, I think the main part of why I enjoyed this book so much was because of the action- in the first book, it takes a lot of time to build up the romance between Bethany and Xavier but in the second book, we are almost thrown directly into some action and it’s interesting action. Two of the new characters- Hanna and Tucker, have definitely become two of my favourites in the series and I hope they will make some kind of appearance in the third book- Heaven. The characters are still the same ones you met in Halo- Beth is still innocent, Xavier is still sweet, Jake’s still bad ass and Gabriel and Ivy are still perfect. So all in all, I definitely enjoyed Hades and can’t wait to get my hands on Heaven!