16 Oct 2012

REVIEW: Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi


 
 
 
Title: Shatter Me

Author: Taherah Mafi

Publisher: Harper Collins

Format: Paperback

Pages: 338

Rating: 5/5

Blurb: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Review: Before I read this, I thought this would be just a typical dystopian YA book, so I delayed reading it as much as I could. I didn’t want to read another Dystopian book because, truly, most of the books in this genre are very similar and have a similar writing style that makes we want to yell, kill someone and then cry, like I’m on my period. And this book made me yell, want to kill someone and cry like I’m on my period, but out of complete and utter joy. In the wise words of Ron Weasly, this book was bloody hell brilliant. I believe that I have now adopted this book as my love child, because I love it so much. If I could marry a book, then it would be this book. Divergent and Hunger Games shipped aside and my love for Shatter me will literally shatter me.

Okay, into the analysis

 

Characters:

I admit sometimes that Juliette annoyed me, she over reacted and she described everything she saw, but only sometimes. But I adore the dark side that came from her, especially when she broke the brick wall to get to Warner. You could tell that she was trying so hard to be good, but evil was lurking inside her. She must’ve been such an exciting the character, and the way she saw the world was exquisite. The things she wanted to say were crossed out, and the things that are supposed to happen, happen. Excellent. Juliette was such a detailed character.

Adam. Oh Adam. This book is one of those books were you can’t choose between the two people and you think the main character is stupid for picking whoever she picked. Yes, you may see that I’m Team Warner. Wait, no. I’m Team Waram. Because bromance is just awesome. But apart from that small rant, Adam was an interesting character. I love Warner and Adam. I was shocked when I discovered he was actually a guard, but the way he looked after Juliette made me love him more.

Warner. My boyfriend. So evil, but so so so so wanted. I don’t think I can breathe without him. Warner just wants to be loved and I know he is a deep character with so many layers.

Pacing:  Pacing was excellent, kept me on the edge of my seat. Didn’t even drop the damn book. It was my air, my food and my hygiene.

Writing: Beautiful prose. Why aren’t more books written like this? They should.

Plot: Interesting, I’m looking forward to the next instalment.