1 Aug 2012

REVIEW: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce


Name: Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1)
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publication Date: June 7th, 2010
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Paperback
Pages: 352 pages
Rating: 3.5/5
Blurb: Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an axe and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for
?

Review:
I love Jackson Pearce- honestly I think she is probably one of the coolest people alive and going into Sisters Red (the first novel of hers that I’ve ever read) I expected to enjoy it immensely, and I did enjoy it.

That being said, I had some issues with this book. This book is about werewolves, and I have nothing against that, however I wasn’t overly keen on Jackson’s take on them. There was just something that didn’t set right with me. Another issue I had was with the biggest plot, from a couple of chapters in I already worked the big secret of the novel and spent most of the novel hoping that I would be wrong.

Character wise, I loved Scarlett March – the badass wolf hunter, and I found her attitude and ambition amazing- she is most definitely my favourite character in the novel. I loved Silas Reynolds- the sweet woodsman, too but Rosie March drove me up the wall at certain parts in the novel. I won’t go into detail as to avoid spoilers, however if you’re interested in discussing this book (or any another) feel free to drop us an e-mail at abooksofathomless@gmail.com

x Ely